Three amazing teenagers. How did that happen?!? Parenting tips from the pleasantly surprised.

Monday, April 25, 2016

Year 8 Memories

My favourite year of school was year 8. Every day was an adventure in learning. The teacher – still the most amazing teacher I’ve ever met – was David Vixie. 30 years later, he’s still at the same school teaching the same way.

The first day of school was about setting boundaries. Mr Vixie told us this was our classroom and we will be together for a year, so we better create some rules and a plan. We then set about forming a class government and laws to govern our behaviour for the year. Mr Vixie was available to answer questions and suggest options. Occasionally he had to step in: “Your laws need to be fair and your punishments need to be legal!” We were a tough bunch and thought we needed tough consequences.

Reflecting back on that classroom, I can remember sitting on the floor – a lot. And I can remember going on adventures. And I remember Mr Vixie’s laugh. You would say something funny and his eyes would light up, his face would change slowly – in his half-smile becomes a full smile kind of way - and then a giggle would come from deep within him and he would laugh. He really liked us. And we knew it.

I learned a lot that year. I don’t remember learning about numbers and words. I remember learning about people – stories about lots of people in history and in our class. I learned a love for stories. The thing that has stuck with me most since then is the respect Mr Vixie taught us to have for ourselves and each other. I still struggle when someone is treated unfairly – because that stopped time in year 8. The law required it! The case would be heard and things would be made right – by us.

Looking back over my life, Mr Vixie’s classroom is a big reason why I am who I am today.
Spend some time reflecting on who you have become because of the influencers in your early life. What are the stories that made you who you are? Share them with your children. In doing so, your influence will be shaping them and one day they will remember you the way I remember Mr Vixie!


Here’s a video about Mr Vixie and his classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment